Consultant Physician in Rehabilitation Medicine
MBBS (Hons) FAFRM (RACP)
- 2005 AFRM Written & Fellowship Clinical Examination
- 2002 AFRM Module 2 examination
- 2001 AFRM Module 1 examination
- 1999 M.B.,B.S. (Hons) University of Sydney
- 2002 Cambridge GCE “A” levels Singapore
Prizes, Scholarships & Achievements
- 2007 February “Staff Performer” Award, North Gosford Private Hospital
- 2005 Merit Certificate & Basmajian Prize, awarded for best candidate in AFRM Fellowship Clinical Exam
- 1994 Golden Key National Honour Society, Sydney University Chapter Old Rafflesian’s Association Scholarship, Raffles Institution Singapore Institution & Longman Scholarships, Raffles Institution, Singapore
- Staff Specialist, Rehabilitation Aged Care Service.Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Hospital (Jan 2006-) Attending specialist for inpatient general/geriatric rehabilitation. Outpatient and community assessments- general, spasticity, dementia & falls prevention. Ultrasound guided injections for spasticity and musculoskeletal conditions. Dementia Drug Trials sub-investigator (REFLECT-3, Voyager, MEM-MD-71, Bapi, WN22018, CONCERT, IDENTITY)
- Member of HKH Quality Use of Medications Hospital Committee
- Visiting Medical Officer, Mt Wilga Private Hospital (Sept 2007-) Clinical management of inpatient & outpatients in rehabilitation setting
- Visiting Medical Officer, Lady Davidson Private Hospital (July 2010-) Clinical management of inpatient & outpatients in rehabilitation setting
- Visiting Medical Officer, Sydney Adventist Hospital (Mar 2008-) Consultation liaison for rehabilitation
- Visiting Medical Officer, Macquarie University Hospital (July 2010-) Consultation liaison for rehabilitation, prosthetic service
- Visiting Medical Officer, North Gosford Private Hospital (Mar 2006- Sept 2010)
- Day Therapy Program- General reconditioning, falls prevention, neurological, spasticity, musculoskeletal, lymphoedema & vestibular clinics
- Program development- Pulmonary, Lymphoedema & Vestibular Rehabilitation Programs.
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Care
Rehabilitation Advanced Trainee:
Westmead Hospital (19/1/04-16/1/05, 18/7/05-15/1/06)
Concord Hospital (17/1/05-17/7/05)
Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Hospital (21/7/03-18/1/04)
Spinal Unit RNSH & Moorong Spinal Rehabilitation Unit (22/7/02-19/1/03 )
General rehabilitation registrar, RNSH & Greenwich Hospitals (23/7/01-21/7/02)
Amputee experience through the Westmead, Hornsby, Concord and RNSH Amputee Services.
Successfully completed Lower Limb Prosthetics Course (UNSW) 2002
Successfully completed Upper Limb Prosthetics Course (UNSW) 2003
- “Benefits of early rehabilitation post hip surgery.” Invited speaker at the 1st Intercongress On Rehabilitation Post Surgery of Spine & Joint. Tianjin, China (2005)
- “Pain in Brain Injury”. Invited speaker for Chinese Brain Injury Group. Burwood, NSW (2007)
- “Pain management in the older person”, Gosford (2006) “Old Bones”, Hornsby NSW (2010)
- “Management of spasticity post-stroke”, Chatswood NSW (2011)
- Chan S, Kurrle S, Widdup G. Vitamin D deficiency in a General Rehabilitation Ward Setting: Prevalence, Associated Factors & Outcomes. Internal Medicine Journal (2010), 40 (Suppl 1); 85.
- Chan S, Chapman JA, Marosszkey JE (2006). Pain and the older person. Presented at 14th AFRM Annual Scientific Meeting, Cairns.
- Baguley IJ, Ng S, Chan S (2006). Bone Metabolism after Severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Presented at Neurorehabilitation World Congress, Hong Kong.
- Chan S, Ni S (2002). A tool for multidisciplinary case conference goal setting and discharge: planning documentation for general inpatient rehabilitation- The G7D. Presented at 10th AFRM Annual Scientific Meeting, Brisbane.
- Indwelling/suprapubic catheter usage in the inpatient Rehabilitation Ward Setting, HKH (2007). Analysis of indications, aetiology, complication rates, subsequent trial of voids, duration of usage, and overall lengths of stay.
- Retrospective review of all transtibial amputations performed at Concord Hospital (2003 to 2004): perioperative complications, pain and discharge destination. (Data compiled in conjunction with Dr Ross Hawthorne)
- Retrospective review of amputee admissions to Greenwich Hospital Rehabilitation Unit (July to December 2001): use of stump protection and cognitive status (Folstein MMSE).
- Clinical Tutor, Northern Clinical School, University of Sydney (2007 onwards)
- Clinical Associate, Northern Clinical School, University of Sydney (2001-03)
- Member, Module 2AFRM Examinations (NSW) Committee (2006-)
- AFRM advanced trainee Term supervisor, Hornsby Hospital (2006-)
- Tutor for Community Rotating Practice Placement (Rehabilitation), Northern, Central & Western Clinical Schools, University of Sydney (2001-05)
Volunteer medical & general work with Jian Hua Foundation in Tianjin, China (Oct 2005):
- Local village clinic with JHF medical outreach team to assess patients and educate local community in principles of rehabilitation management
- Chinese Language and Culture Study Program at Beijing Institute of Technology (1998)
- Languages: fluent in English, Cantonese & Mandarin
- Member, Chinese Christian Church (Milsons Point)
Medical Registration & Professional Membership
- Fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine (RACP)
- Module 2 AFRM Examinations (NSW) Committee
- AHPRA registration no. MED0001183782
- Indemnity: Medical Indemnity Protection Society (MIPS)
- Golden Key National Honour Society, University of Sydney