B.A. (hons.); M.Psychol; Ph.D.
Senior Clinical Psychologist
Bachelor of Arts (Honours); University of Sydney Awarded 1991
Master of Psychology (Clinical);“awarded with Merit”. University of Sydney Awarded 1993
Doctor of Philosophy (psychology) University of Sydney “Development and Validation of a Measure of Sense of Self” Awarded 2008
Australian Psychological Society (APS); Membership No: 21807 1993 – current
APS, College of Clinical Psychologists; Member 1998 – current
N.S.W. Psychologists Registration Board No: PS30384 1992 – current
Australian Association for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy 1993 – current
NSW Vice President 1997 and 1998 NSW Treasurer 2010 - 2012
Current Positions Held
Principal Clinical Psychologist
Duration: Since May 1997
Employer: Basten and Associates, clinical psychologists.
Duties: Principal Psychologist. Supervision of other clinical psychologists. Practice management. Psychological assessments and therapy specialising in CBT for trauma, adjustment to disability, somatoform disorders, eating disorders and other adult psychopathology.
Occasional lecturing to postgraduate psychology students at University of Sydney, UNSW, UWS and Macquarie University. Invited topics include depression, consultation in the medical setting, somatisation and eating disorders.
Past Employment History
Senior Clinical Psychologist (part-time)
Duration: 1994 - 2008 Employer: Western Sydney Area Health Service (Westmead Hospital)
Duties: Provision of psychological services to the medical units of the hospital, as a part of the consultation-liaison psychiatry team. The role included provision of clinical supervision to staff, including the Eating Disorders Day-patient Unit.
Duration: 1992 to Feb 1993 (Casual)
Employer: University of Sydney
Duties: Tutoring undergraduate classes (in statistics, neuroscience and abnormal psychology) and postgraduate classes (M.A. course on addiction).
Past and Present Consultancies
- N.S.W. Dept of Health. Burns Management Plan Committee; 1995 – 1996
- NSW Dept of Health; Consultation-Liaison Services; 1997 – 1998
- Sydney University, Psychology Postgraduate Degree Advisory Committee 1998 – 2003
- General Practitioner Training Programme (Eating Disorders) and rural telemedicine support. 2005 – 2007
- CAMHS NET Eating Disorder Guideline Working Party (Psychology) 2005 – 2007
- Motor Accident Authority Treatment Guidelines Committee 2010 - 2011
Recent Professional Development Events DELIVERED
- Integrating Motivational Interviewing with CBT for anxiety and depression. One-day Clinical Workshop for the AACBT. Sydney April 2009.
- Integrating Motivational Interviewing and CBT in the treatment of Eating Disorders. One Day Clinical Workshop for the APS Western Plain Branch, July 2009.
- Understanding Medically Unexplained Symptoms. Lecture given to post-graduate psychology course at Macquarie University; April 2010.
- Optimising Adjustment to Injury & Illness using CBT. One-day Clinical Workshop, May 2010.
- Integrating Motivational Interviewing with CBT for anxiety and depression. One-day Clinical Workshop, Sydney May 2010.
- Assessing and Managing Suicide Risk in Adolescents and Adults. Half-day Workshop, May 2010.
- Integrating Motivational Interviewing with CBT. Seminar for Anxiety Disorders Network. 26/11/2010
- Working at Depth with Eating Disorders. Invited Keynote. Inaugural Conference for ACPA.
- Using CBT to optimising adjustment to loss of limb. Keynote Address, ISPO Conference. 3/11/11.
- Clinical workshops on Eating Disorders, presented with Chris Thornton: 2005; 2009; 2010; 2011; 2012.
- Basten, C.J. and McGuire, B.E. (2000) Delirium: The role of the psychologist in assessment and management. Australian Psychologist, 35, 201-207.
- Basten, C.J. and Kavanagh, D.J. (1996). Alcohol consumption by undergraduate students. Substance Use and Misuse, 31, 1379 – 1399.
- Bryant, R., Harvey, A.G., Sackville, T., Dang, S.T. and Basten, C. (1998). Treatment of acute stress disorder: a comparison of cognitive behaviour therapy and supportive counselling. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 66, 862-866.
- Chen, E., Touyz, S.W., Beumont, P.J.V., Fairburn, C.G., Griffiths, R., Butow, P., Russell, J., Schotte, D.E., Gertler, R. and Basten, C. (2003). Comparison of group and individual cognitive-behavioral therapy for patients with bulimia nervosa. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 33, 241-454.
- McGuire, B.E., Basten, C.J., Ryan, C.J. and Gallagher, J. (2000). Intensive Care Syndrome: A dangerous misnomer. Archives of Internal Medicine, 160, 906-909.
- Soo, H., Burney, S & Basten C. (2009). The role of rumination in affective distress in people with a chronic physical illness: A review of the literature and theoretical formulation. Journal of Health Psychology, 14, 956-966.
- Basten, C.J., Crino, N & Touyz, S. (2007). Eating Disorders: Prediction of Early Response to Treatment. Paper presented at the 5th World Congress of Behavioural and Cognitive Therapies, Barcelona.
- Basten, C.J., Patterson, P. & Khan, R. (1998). A critical examination of the diagnostic criteria for eating disorders. Paper presented at the 21st National Conference of the AACBT. Perth, Aust..
- Basten, C.J., Schotte, D.E., Kavanagh, D.J. & O’Kearney, R. (1996). Brief interventions for panic attack sufferers presenting to emergency rooms. Paper presented at the 19th National Conference of the AACBT. Sydney, Aust..
- Basten, C.J., Marosszeky, J.E. & Martin, I. (2003). The Role of Automatic Thoughts in Adjustment to Physical Disability. Paper presented at the National Conference of the Australian Psychological Society. Perth, Aust.
- Moloney, M. & Basten, C.J. (2004). Eating Disorders: Why do some people choose pathology over healthy behaviours? Paper presented at the Health Psychology Conference. Westmead Hospital, Aust.